Sunday, August 03, 2008

Public Telephones Today!

*show of hands*
How many people actually use public telephone this days? Nah... I guess NOT and that is probably the reason why and how this story begins.

Not so long back, weather was chilly cold, and my *phone service provider* constantly was out and finally it was really out of service for a duration of approximately 20 minutes or so. Within that time frame I needed to call my friend to tell her i have arrived at the place and wanted to know where she was at that time. I recalled her asking me to wait for her before entering the premises and because it was so cold and windy my intention was also to tell her to hurry if she was still far from the place.

Since my phone was out of service, i stopped at the nearest tram stop, got down and walked towards to the telephone booth. Just before i reached the place a lady came by in front of me and started heading towards the phone booth as well.

Knowing that I*Cursed* while trying hard to keep myself warm. She was looking at her mobile phone while making the call. "Must be the same service provider" as it ran through my head. Successfully making a call after 4minutes she called another person looking at me and apologized. That took her another 2-3 minutes. It was obviously long for me cause it was really chilly.

Eventually, she turned around called me and said "you can use the money... etc... etc eaten money..etc...etc.." *I actually didn't understand what she was talking after that* I looked at the display and it show $0.50, wow! great cause i only had $0.40 that time and the minimum amount to make a phone call was $0.50. Lucky day I thought and started making the call. Unfortunately, I was unable to make a call. Every time the receiver picks up, the call drops. Oh! FYI, there is only 1 public telephone around that area. Sigh...

I guess despite having a mobile phone, it is also equally important to have public phones around. Do you agree? Who knows what might happen. There is always contingencies for everything why not this.

No comments: